All Saints is one of the finest of York's many churches, All Saints stands in the middle of the earliest paved streets in York, hence the name 'All Saints, Pavement'. The present Church building is mainly 14th century, though there has been a church on the site since Saxon times. All Saints lost its aisled chancel in 1782 and a south transept in the 1960s.
The strikingly elegant octagonal lantern, atop the tower, was added in the latter quarter of the 15th century. It was kept burning every night to guide those approaching the city of York through the wilds of the Forest of Galtres to the north. The splendid lion-headed door knocker or sanctuary ring is presumed to be from the 13th century.
The glass used in the huge 14th century west window came from the redundant St. Saviour's Church. There is a monument to Tate Wilkinson, a contemporary of Garrick and Sheridan, who made the York theatres the rival of those in Bath.
You are viewing panorama No.1 (All Saints Pavement - between High Ousegate and Coppergate), one of 134 Virtual Reality 360 degree views of York.
Map of York showing the location of All Saints Pavement - between High Ousegate and Coppergate at Latitude 53.95721 / Longitude -1.07988.
We have visited York on a number of occasions to produce this tour, this page was created on Thu, 25 Sep 2014 16:49:52 +0100, although the photography may have been obtained on an earlier date.
5 Day, 10 Day, 15 Day long range weather forecast and current conditions for All Saints Pavement - between High Ousegate and Coppergate, York