The River Ouse - York. Ouse Bridge The original Roman bridge over the Ouse was eventually replaced by a wooden bridge built further downstream by the Vikings. In 1154, it collapsed under the weight of a crowd which had gathered to greet St William of York on his return from exile. It was replaced by a stone bridge, but part of this was swept away by floods in the winter of 1564-5. The repaired bridge of 1565 had a new central arch spanning 81ft, and was described by Defoe as '...near 70 foot [21 m] in diameter; it is, without exception, the greatest in England, some say it's as large as the Rialto at Venice, though I think not.' This bridge was dismantled between 1810 and 1818 in order to make way for the New Ouse Bridge, designed by Peter Atkinson the younger, completed in 1821.
York lies within the Vale of York, a flat area of arable land bordered by the Pennines, the North York Moors and the Yorkshire Wolds, at the confluence of the Rivers Ouse and Foss on a terminal moraine left by the last Ice Age. During Roman times, the land surrounding the rivers Ouse and Foss was very marshy, making it easier to defend. The city is prone to flooding from the River Ouse, and has an extensive (and mostly effective) network of flood defences. These include walls along the Ouse, and a liftable barrier across the River Foss where it joins the Ouse. In October and November 2000 York experienced the worst flooding in 375 years with over 300 homes being flooded.
Much land in and around the city has always been too flood-prone for development.
There are nine bridges across the River Ouse within the city of York, England. The earliest bridge, built by the Romans, linked Stonegate (the via praetoria of the Roman fortress) and Micklegate, and crossed the river approximately where the Guildhall now is. Its replacement, Ouse Bridge, was a wooden bridge built about 350 metres downstream by the Vikings. It has been rebuilt three times, most recently between 1810 and 1820. The Scarborough Railway Bridge of 1845 was the second bridge to be built, and it was followed by two more road bridges, Lendal Bridge in 1863 and Skeldergate Bridge in 1882. The Millennium Bridge, a footbridge, was added in 2001. There are also Clifton Bridge in the northern suburbs of the city, two modern fly-overs carrying the outer ring road, and the former railway bridge at Naburn, which is now part of the York-Selby cycle path.
This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York
You are viewing panorama No.35 (Queens Staith Road, Skeldergate, River Ouse), one of 134 Virtual Reality 360 degree views of York.
Map of York showing the location of Queens Staith Road, Skeldergate, River Ouse at Latitude 53.95655 / Longitude -1.08374.
We have visited York on a number of occasions to produce this tour, this page was created on Thu, 25 Sep 2014 16:49:53 +0100, although the photography may have been obtained on an earlier date.
5 Day, 10 Day, 15 Day long range weather forecast and current conditions for Queens Staith Road, Skeldergate, River Ouse, York